Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Chevron

My friend, Sylvia, will be having a new baby soon. I wanted to make a quilt for her new family member. I showed her a picture of a pink and camo chevron quilt that I had seen on facebook. Sylvia and her husband are into the camo scene.

I didn't realize that there were so many different kinds of camo. So just to make sure I didnt choose the wrong camo design, I asked Sylvia to pick out the fabric that she wanted the quilt made from.

Jenny, from Missouri Star Quilt Co, had posted a tutorial for making a chevron quilt. I would like to say a big thank you to MSQC for all the great tutorials. 

I did tweek the pattern some for the quilt that I made. I began by cutting 30, 8 inch, squares of each fabric. Then I made my half-square triangles as described in the tutorial. This has got to be the easiest way to make HST.

After setting my rows together, I hand basted the quilt without safety pins. I had found a tutorial on youtube from Sharon Shamber for basting without safety pins. This method of basting has really helped me since I started using it. The link for Hand Basting a Quilt by Sharon Shamber can be found here. And part 2 of Hand Basting a Quilt.

This way of Basting a quilt is so much easier on my old knees, and I don't have to worry about accidently hitting a safety pin when I am machine quilting.

 

Well I did get the quilt finished. Sylvia told me last night that her older daughter is in love with it and wants her own quilt. No matter what age we are, a soft cuddly quilt to snuggle into, seems to make us feel loved.


The finished quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment